REANNZ membership includes access to our high capacity, high performance international broadband service.
Our international service
Our international network extends to Sydney and Los Angeles at a speed of 1Gb/s. The network map shows the topology of the network across New Zealand and our linkages out to the rest of the world. For a live view of international traffic, see the weathermap.
At our landing points at Sydney and Los Angeles, the network connects with over 100 (indirectly) research and education (R&E) networks across the world to get you to Asia, Europe and beyond - as indicated in green on the above map.
Our membership of this international mesh of R&E networks means you can connect through the network to over 200 million researchers, students, teachers and scientists from across the globe quickly and without data charges.
Our international network is currently provided by TelstraClear.
Our international service offers:
- 1 Gb/s connectivity to Sydney
- 1 Gb/s connectivity to Los Angeles
- 3 peerings at Sydney
- 21 peerings at Los Angeles
- 14,000 available R&E routes
- Jumbo (9000 byte) Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)
- IPv4 and IPv6
- IPv4 Multicast
Eligibility for our international service
For all our members, our international service is a standard membership inclusion.
International peering principles
Connectivity with other National Research and Education Networks is essential to enable New Zealand’s participation and collaboration with the international R&E community. Some of the key factors in considering international peering arrangements are to:
- support members' research and education activity by providing them routes to international partners and content providers
- advance REANNZ as a member of the international NREN community
- support advanced network projects and initiatives
- provide route diversity for existing network routes
- achieve more efficient route selection for existing network routes
Current international peerings
Our network has international peering points at:
- Sydney at the Equinix IBX Centre
- Los Angeles at the Pacific Wave node at One Wilshire
Our network directly peers in Los Angeles and Sydney. Through our peerings and the subsequent peerings of these NRENs with similar organisations, members can get their data across the world to Asia, Europe and beyond.
Requests for additional peerings from members or other NRENs will be considered on their merits. Where possible peerings will have the following attributes:
- IPv4 and IPv6
- Jumbo (9000 byte) frames
- IPv4 Multicast enabled
- NASA R&E
If you have a query relating to international peering, or you would like to peer with us, please contact email@example.com